Thursday, May 21, 2009

rolly pollies


apparently, i am a closet member of PETA.


you see, my wonderful niece river has an affinity for playing with rolly pollies. you should imagine some sarcastic air quotes around the word playing, because river says she's playing, but really she's mushing and throwing the rolly pollies pieces into yard. as, i imagine, a warning to other rolly pollies that she's the captain round these parts.


and, and....this makes me feel really bad. to the point that i tell her, "river, no mush a rolly pollie." and, "river, be gentle with a rolly pollie." and, "river, stop!"

perhaps it makes me a bad person to admit this, but my empathy surprises me. i am surprised that i am so concerned for the well being of these bugs. one, because i hate bugs. haaaaaate. two, because i don't feel all that strongly about other living things. i believe, honestly, that if god didn't want us to eat cows, cows would have better evasive maneuvers.

these rolly pollies, though. man. they're killing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment