Wednesday, May 6, 2009

my awesome niece, her awesome parents, the not-so-awesome american health care system


that is my wonderful niece, river amelia, who loves to dance and eat cookies. at the tender age of two she has already learned the vital life lesson: "oh, no! no crayon a mommy's boob!"
river is staying with me and my folks for the next few days while mommy and her non-crayoned boob have gallbladder surgery.
okay, so i mostly live in asia. where everyone has health insurance, provided by the government, and going to the doctor costs five bucks. seven if you need antibiotics. a friend has a fairly serious operation, requiring about a week's hospitalization for about five grand. hell, i got emergecy care on a sunday in cambodia for twenty bucks, mostly cuz the doctor pegged me for an easy mark. and this isn't some crappy, substandard, "oops, now you're barren!" third-world care. i got sick in cambodia. i went to the doctor. he gave me some pills, i gave him twenty bucks. a week later i was pudgy again.
i'm not really sure why people seem to think it's not the government's job to keep its citizens healthy. i'm sure glenn beck has some very valid points which i'm just ignoring. perhaps you'd like to explain it to me. i'd rather you didn't, but, you know, whatev.
i'm no policy wonk, and i don't even have some googled statistics to back up my ancedotes. i'm just mad. the mother of my niece is sick. the hospital has treated her horribly because she and my brother don't have thirty grand laying around. it makes me mad.

No comments:

Post a Comment