Tuesday, June 9, 2009

He Would Leave You in the Corner

so yesterday it was pointed out to me, by my father of all people, that i have not updated my blog in almost three weeks. and when your dad has the techno-savy (or, more specifically, MY dad, the luddite), maybe i should try and get back on the ball.

anyway, what follows is a rough outline for what would be my self-help book, should i ever be overcome with a desire to get gussied up and pay a visit to Dr. Phil. enjoy!


a couple of years ago i was party to a breakup, the details of which are mostly unimportant except for i didn't see it coming at all. i took it poorly, drinking two bottles of chardonnay without dirtying a glass. between bottles one and two i decided to put my new bookshelf together, but lacking a screwdriver, i tried to use an exacto knife. this resulted in me cutting my feet on the shards of broken exacto when i went to the kitchen to fetch bottle two, then taking bottle two with me on the subway to wal-mart to buy a screwdriver. so, all in all, i handled it pretty well. hey, the shelves got made.

about a month later i was in a bookstore and picked up a copy of He's Just Not That Into You. now, i am basing my experience on this book on fifteen minutes in a bookstore while hyper-fragile. i'm sure dude is great. oprah loves him!

anyway, i felt like the book was judging me. i could make him into me, if only i weren't so needy and lame and sad and chardonnay-flavored. it was not a good experience for me.

another month after that, i was at home (was there wine? there might have been.) watching the bestest movie of all forever: Dirty Dancing. like all women who went through puberty in the later eighties, i feel i've spent my whole adult life scanning the bar, looking for johnny castle. then, the end of the movie, and the bestest line of dialog of all forever: "Nobody puts Baby in a corner."

epiphany: that asshole would have left me in the corner. heartbreak? healed! drinking problem? glug glug!!

4 comments:

  1. Funny us slightly older guys have a hard time seeing Ferris' sister and her schnozz as a true Love Interest. She is Jailbait for Patrick "Dancer Boy" Schwaze, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that move. And her shnozz. (and the guy from He's Just Not That Into You would dig your book as it's kind of the same principle).

    ReplyDelete
  3. The movie was disappointing. It purported independence for the first half and then totally contradicted itself in the second.

    I think there should be a book about not needing to lower your standards and only needing a good group of girlfriends. Which you have, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops. That comment was from me, Jenny. Somehow it's locked into Mike's account. Whatever, he supports you too!

    ReplyDelete